Thursday, March 1, 2012

Décris la photo

We did one of my favourite activities in class today: "Décris la photo", or "Describe the picture" for you non-French speakers out there.

This is an activity suggested by the program that I use, in which I can show the kids images from the plays that we study, and get them to describe it.  We do this a lot in class, and the students get very good at it!  So I like to change it up by showing the students some more thought-provoking images.  Today, I showed the Grade Sixes the following image:



The kids then set to work telling me what they saw, what they thought was happening and finally, asking questions about what was happening in the photo.  Along the way, we had a discussion about the Occupy movement and about protests in general - ENTIRELY IN FRENCH.  I love lessons like this, where we move away from the "prescribed" activities, and I get to see how my kids think, and watch them actually USE French as they communicate in another language.  It is incredibly impressive, and I am so proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment